Monday, September 26, 2011

Neighbor update

Funny story:

So when I first moved in my neighbors gave me their internet password.  Then they changed it, so I went over and asked for the new one, and they gave it to me and didn't let me pay them for using their internet.  A week ago, however, right before district conference, I discovered that I couldn't use their internet once again.  So I chalked my neighborly overtures up as failures and decided to get my own internet.  My roommate moved in a few days later, and we went to a few telecom places.  It turns out the cheap internet company doesn't come to our building, and the other one only sets up year contracts, the cheapest of which would have been 1500 kuai (about $250), compared to 120 kuai for three months with the other company.

At that point, I decided not to get internet unless something else turned up.  That night, my roommate discovered that there are three unprotected wifi signals that he can use with his computer.  I had tried them already without success, but it turns out you need a Windows computer to use them.  So he's happily online and I am left with a useless Apple.  Frustrating.  I decided to not get internet, since at least he can get online at home and I can make do with the internet at school without forking over the cash.

Then tonight, while walking home, I ran into one of our neighbors from below.  He said, "Sorry about our internet lately - our router broke and we just got it fixed.  Here's the new password," and gave me their new password.  I felt bad at having assumed the worst of my neighbors...but now I can go online again!  And thus (hopefully) ends the saga of Ian's internet woes in Nanjing.

No comments:

Post a Comment