Wednesday, June 16, 2010

生日快樂!

It being my birthday, I thought it appropriate to embark on a lengthy discussion of the meaning of life (mine specifically), employing various deep thoughts as foci from which to build my arguments and lull all visitors here into a pleasant, placid state of contemplation.  In other words, I have half an hour still at work with nothing to do and decided this was a most productive way to spend my time.

Each birthday, I find, brings with it a unique aura.  This one feels slightly more austere than usual, mostly because I'm nowhere near friends and family (although I get to leave for Maryland tomorrow to see the family) and I'm certainly not expecting gifts except for the cards from grandparents and aunts and uncles and the bike I bought myself.  However, that can be a good thing, because it means I can more easily focus on the deeper nature of my birthday as a starting point for the next year and the conclusion of the last, rather than be distracted by (the admittedly fun) fluff.

All seriousness aside, I've had a great day!  I woke up this morning to my aunt and the dogs singing happy birthday, and proceeded to find various computer printouts wishing me a happy birthday with tantalizing pictures of cake all over the house, placed there by house-elves, no doubt.  I'm sure I have many Facebook posts wishing me a happy birthday (not being able to access FB here at work, I have yet to feel the joy of reading each and every one of them), and the Fjeldsteds are taking me out to dinner tonight!  Probably the best feeling, though, is the anticipation of leaving for Maryland tomorrow.  I love traveling, and staying in one place, even for just a few months, is stifling - especially in the summertime.  Seeing the family is a plus, too.  I also get to play the carillon at Andrew's high school on Friday for his graduation!  How cool is that?

I'll probably finish this after I get home...I can't type in Chinese at work and I can't upload pictures, so half of the excitement of blogging is gone right there!  Farewell until ca 8 pm.

(This was meant to post on June 9th, but due to a weekend vacation, it has taken a week to navigate the treacherous waters of my Blogger outbox...so sorry)

English title: Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment