Thursday, March 24, 2011

表演

My recital is over!  I feel like a part of me has died, or maybe been preserved in petrified wood, to be glanced at later when I pull my recital CD off my shelf.

Today I am grateful for the blessings of self-confidence and humility.  For various reasons, I've never considered myself a very good piano performance major.  Despite how well I do in my classes and my abilities as a performer and accompanist, I have always doubted myself.  Over the past few months, however, these feelings have come to me much less frequently.  After my sophomore and junior recitals, I felt that I hadn't met up to my own expectations and wasn't on par with other piano majors.  However, although I know I made plenty of mistakes tonight, I am satisfied with my performance and know that it was solid, musical, and even excellent.  I'm grateful for the gift of being able to evaluate my abilities objectively.  This, oddly enough, shows humility and self-confidence at the same time, both gifts from God that I did not possess naturally.

I am also grateful again for a wonderful family and network of friends.  My uncle Paul estimated that my family had traveled about 40,000 miles in total to attend my recital.  I have the best family in the world!

English title: Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment