Saturday, August 27, 2011

Plane ride to China


After a few short days home in KL, I'm on a plane to Guangzhou and then to Nanjing.  I have mixed emotions, as per usual during big life transitions.  I won't see my family for a while, but at least I've been able to spend more time with them this summer than I have the last few years.  My friends are all scattering to different places, but the other Flagship students are all good guys, so it shouldn't be bad in that respect.  Mostly, I don't know what to expect.  Nothing can completely prepare you for living in another country long-term.
I rescind my earlier statement about Asian airlines being more reasonable with luggage fees.  This morning at the airport, China Southern's agent only allowed me the equivalent of one bag in weight, and I basically had to buy another ticket to Nanjing for my second bag.  My mom came in with me, and she very generously paid for it after trying to make them see sense, but it still made me sick with frustration - what can you do?  Mailing a heavy piece of luggage would have cost a lot also.  没办法。
Some mornings I wake up and look in the mirror and like the way I look; other mornings I want to be on one of those makeover shows.  I said as much to my mom yesterday, and she took me to get a haircut and mani-pedi!  It was my first time getting either a manicure or a pedicure.  It felt nice, but I don't think I need them very often.  Mostly I enjoyed the feeling of relaxing and having other people do things for me - having been at college for a while and doing everything for myself, that feeling of abandonment is a luxury.
Now I'm on the plane to Nanjing.  Like I did in Shanghai on my way here, I had to collect my luggage in Guangzhou and put it through security again.  I brought too much stuff to China; I guess I'll be leaving some of it here.  I arrive in Nanjing at 8:40 pm and I'm staying with another Flagship student, Chandler, until I find an apartment tomorrow or Thursday.  The phone that I brought from Malaysia that I know will work here is dead, and my iPhone won't be able to work here until and unless I can get it unlocked, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to contact him.  I guess I'll try to find his apartment and borrow someone's phone to call him if I get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment