Friday, February 24, 2012

2.5 weeks in Beijing (2)

List continued...
  • My dad has been in town this week, so I got to spend some time with him both Tuesday and yesterday.  On Tuesday I met him as he checked into his hotel, the Fairmont (very ostentatious), and we had dinner with a couple of his business associates at the restaurant there, touted to be the best steakhouse in Beijing.  Most of the steaks were over 300 kuai (the most expensive was over 600!), so I got lamb instead; it was rather mind-boggling.  We also went over his financial information so I could submit everything to the need access application for law schools.
  • I had a phone interview with the associate dean of admissions for Harvard on Wednesday night.  It went very well - we talked about my program here and my mission and what I wanted in a legal education, and then I asked her a little about herself.  She has spent the last 15 years or so moving between Cambridge and Boston, so she's obviously biased, but even so I might consider Harvard over Stanford.  We'll see.
  • Before the interview there was institute at the Stratford's house.  The topic was on the gift of the Holy Ghost and gifts of the Spirit.  I won't say too much about the lesson, but Brother Stratford told a story that I wish I had recorded.  It was about a blessing he gave to the four-year-old son of a former research assistant of his who had pancreatic cancer, and the boy was cured of his cancer.  Later, his assistant came to clerk in his firm in HK, and the first night he told Brother Stratford that his wife made him promise to ask what the burning feeling they had felt during the blessing was.  And later on the man was able to continue his studies at Duke.  Brother Stratford spoke of holding the boy on his lap and having the strongest desire to be able to bless and help him, and then feeling inspired to tell them about priesthood blessings.  This story greatly touched me, and I felt a confirmation that if I have a desire to bless people, the Lord will allow me to do so.
  • The weekend is in under two hours!  Wahoo!  FHE tonight at Samily's house, running and musical practice tomorrow, church.  Then Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment