Thursday, February 9, 2012

Work journal, Day 1


I made it here right on the dot – I thought I would be early, but this building is a little confusing.  Either way, they put me in a conference room and made me wait for 25 minutes before anything happened.  Then I got introduced to the head of HR and the head secretary here (it is so hard to remember everyone’s names – that’s something I’ll have to work hard at so as not to offend people), and we went over little procedural things.  Then Yi Yongmei, one of the partners, gave me a tour and a brief history of the firm and what we do.

Since then, I’ve had a few assignments thrown my way, including a copy of China’s patent law and a translation of a patent application to look over.  Most of my work will probably be translation and communicating with clients in English, which is fine; I’ll learn a lot of law vocabulary that way.

I had lunch with three coworkers in the patent litigation department.  Again, I can’t remember their names.  There’s a cafeteria in the basement with good food, although a little pricey by Nanjing standards (20-30 kuai a plate).  I had beef and rice (more like Korean food, very tasty) for 22 kuai, and we talked for a while.  Now I’m back in the office working on reading a statement concerning a lawsuit brought against a Chinese company by a division of Huntsman in Switzerland so I can help Mr. Jiang draft an email about it later.

It is so hot in here – I’m dying…

The seats are really short, and I haven’t figured out how to put them up yet, but it doesn’t matter because the desk is so short…

No comments:

Post a Comment