Friday, February 10, 2012

Work journal, Day 2


Hardly anyone was here a few minutes before 9 when I got here.  They all seemed to arrive together a couple minutes after 9 (you’re not late unless you arrive after 9:05).  So far I’ve sat at my desk and read part of the Patent Law of the People’s Republic of China and written down vocabulary words I didn’t know, and I’m waiting for Mr. Jiang or someone to give me an assignment.

A funny from yesterday that I almost forgot – when introducing me to one of the guys from the patent litigation department, the head of HR (or the secretary, I forget which) said, “He’s really good at sex!”  No kidding.  I figured out after a bit that they meant the saxophone, but she and others said it so it sounded like sex.  Should I tell them?  Hmm…

Some things I’ve learned at Lexfield: use the left bank of elevators to avoid traipsing the maze of corridors on the 10th floor.  Food is slightly cheaper at the regular cafeteria downstairs (15.50 for a decent-sized meal; I found some coworkers to eat with and I remember one of their names!  Progress.).  Office plants smelling of lemon and costing 10 kuai are a plus.  HR directors aren’t as perky in China.  I just met the director of HR again coming back from lunch, and she is so quiet and reserved!  I guess that’s okay here, but in the States, HR people always seem to be bubbly and exuberant, or at least loud.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment